Monday, May 11, 2009

Black Leaf Canyon

Lacey patterns of snow grace the cliff bottom.
Herd of mule deer next to the road on the way to the canyon.
These twin spires gaurd the entrance to the canyon.
Someone had walked into the canyon a few days before I was there. Some of their tracks remained.
Snow was falling and landing on my camera lens. You can see the white dots in this photo.
The colors in these rock cliffs are amazing. My grandma could paint these walls so they looked so beautiful! She lived under a reef like this, and knew it's moods each day.
The sounds of the creek were magical inside the canyon walls. I wish I could get Robert to walk with me, so he could have heard this also. He sits in the car and waits for me. He misses a lot. On the other hand, that allows me time alone in the mountains, which I love. It's hard to describe what it's like to be inside a canyon like this, alone, to hear the sounds, smell the smells, and feel the wilderness...
This is looking down country from inside the canyon. I walked a ways back into the canyon, but chickened out when I ran into bear scat.
This is the trail going back into the Bob Marshall, made me wish I was on my my horse, headed in...
This is the road heading toward the trail head at the canyon.
And here was a star fish on the mountain!
These crocus were fresh and their color was rich. They hadn't opened up yet.

To see more of our photos from this trip. I've uploaded a few hundred to flikr! There are many more photos of the avocets, the horses and mules, and the scenery.

Hope you enjoyed the trip!
Donna Ridgway


Tweet Me a Montana travel update!

3 comments:

  1. I have indeed enjoyed the trip. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love pasque flowers, and I haven't seen any in YEARS! Thanks for sharing them and all the great rock formations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wish you could have been with us to see the flowers, they were at their peak, and so many of them! The foothills were thick with their beauty!

    ReplyDelete